Cauliflower Cheese Soup Recipe | Wholesome Yum
FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERS
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I recently posted a creamy roasted cauliflower soup, but this cauliflower cheddar soup recipe is a much easier, cheesy version of that. I love that you can make this cheesy cauliflower soup with just five basic ingredients, all in one pot. One bite, and I think you’ll agree that it’s the best cauliflower cheese soup recipe ever… it’s comfort in a bowl.
This cheesy cauliflower soup also happens to be the cauliflower version of the most popular soup recipe on Wholesome Yum: broccoli cheese soup! We’re using the same method and similar components, but swapping out the broccoli for cauliflower. Both are delicious options to eat your veggies!
What Is Cauliflower Cheddar Soup?
This cheesy cauliflower soup recipe tastes similar to broccoli cheddar soup, but made with cauliflower instead of broccoli.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Cheesy, cheddar flavor
- Creamy, silky texture
- Made with just 5 ingredients
- Naturally low carb and gluten free
- Ready in 30 minutes
Cauliflower Cheddar Soup Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for creamy cauliflower and cheese soup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Cauliflower – You’ll need four cups, which is about one medium head. I used fresh cauliflower, but frozen will work fine, too.
- Garlic – Fresh minced has the best flavor, but pre-minced from a jar is also fine.
- Chicken broth – I prefer free-range for best flavor and nutrition, but you can use any kind of chicken broth. Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
- Heavy cream – This makes the soup rich and creamy. Half and half would also work, but the soup will be a bit thinner. Full-fat coconut milk is also fine to substitute.
- Cheddar cheese – Buy the cheddar pre-shredded to save some time. You can use mild or sharp cheddar cheese. Or mix it up by adding other cheeses, as long as they melt well.
How To Make Cauliflower Cheese Soup
This section shows how to make cauliflower and cheese soup with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Saute. In a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat, saute minced garlic until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the cauliflower is tender.
- Blend. Remove 1/3 of the cauliflower and set aside. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
TIP: If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can puree in a regular blender instead. You may need to do it in batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Melt cheese. Reduce heat and add cheese 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until melted. Puree the mixture until smooth.
TIP: Use the cheese to thicken the soup to your liking. The more you add, the thicker the soup.
- Finish cheesy cauliflower soup. Remove from heat and add the reserved cauliflower florets back into the pureed soup. If desired, garnish with more shredded cheddar and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup Additions
This is a basic cauliflower cheese soup recipe, but here are some additional things you can add if you like:
- Onion – Saute diced onion before you add the garlic.
- Bacon – You’ll want to cook it before adding to the soup. You can cook bacon in the oven, air fryer bacon, or microwave bacon, then chop and add toward the end. Alternatively, you can cook raw bacon in the dutch oven first, then saute the garlic in the bacon grease.
- Other vegetables – You can saute carrots or celery together with the garlic. If you like to keep them in chunks instead of pureed, remove them before you add the cauliflower to the soup and add them back in at the end. Or even make this a hybrid of broccoli cheese soup by swapping half of the cauliflower with broccoli.
- Make it spicy – Try crushed red pepper flakes, hot sauce, or cayenne pepper.
Store this cauliflower cheddar soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can cauliflower cheese soup be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze cheesy cauliflower soup! Simply let it cool to room temperature, then freeze flat in freezer bags or in a freezer safe container.
Thaw it in the fridge completely overnight before using. Then, you can cook it over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent curdling.
Reheat the cauliflower cheddar soup over low heat so that the cheese doesn’t seize.
Sometimes it separates a bit after a while, but usually comes back together after you reheat while stirring frequently. If that doesn’t help, you can also puree it in a blender – this will bring it back together.
What To Serve With Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Serve this cheesy cauliflower soup with one of the dishes below:
More Healthy Soup Recipes
If you like this cauliflower cheese soup recipe, you might also like some of these other healthy soup recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Cauliflower Cheese Soup Recipe
An EASY cauliflower cheese soup recipe made with just 5 basic ingredients, ready in less than 30 minutes! Everyone loves this cheesy cauliflower cheddar soup.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a dutch oven over medium heat, saute garlic for one minute, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped cauliflower Increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
Use a slotted spoon to remove about 1/3 of the cauliflower pieces and set aside.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup with the remaining cauliflower.
Reduce heat to low. Add the shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup (56 g) at a time, stirring constantly, and continue to stir until melted. Puree again to make it smooth.
Remove from heat. Add the reserved cauliflower florets back to the soup.
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 5.9g
Net Carbs 4.4g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂