Cheesy Parmesan Asparagus (6 Ingredients!)
Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe Ebook
Get It Now
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Treat yourself to this easy cheesy parmesan asparagus recipe! It’s perfect for when asparagus is in season, but let me be honest, I make it all year if the asparagus at the store looks good. This cheesy roasted asparagus with parmesan is a lot like regular roasted asparagus, but adds a sprinkle of parmesan and mozzarella, plus Italian seasoning. Even my kids like it!
This dish is so simple, but so delicious! It works as a simple brunch with eggs or the best side dish to a healthy dinner. If you like the flavors in asparagus with cheese and garlic, you’ll also like asparagus stuffed chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Parmesan Asparagus Recipe
- Cheesy and savory in every bite
- Tender spears with melty topping
- Just 6 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- One pan with easy cleanup
- Less than 20 minutes from start to finish
- Naturally low carb and gluten-free
- Easy, healthy, perfect side dish for a variety of meals
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese and garlic, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – The starring vegetable! Choose firm, medium asparagus stalks with tightly closed tips. Asparagus spears are available any time of year, but you’ll find the highest quality in the spring when it’s in season.
- Olive Oil – Oil helps with browning and flavor. You can use regular olive oil or avocado oil for a mild taste, or extra virgin olive oil for a richer taste. You can also use melted butter if you like the flavor.
- Seasoning – Including Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Garlic – I used fresh garlic, but you can use 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Cheese – Any kind of cheese you like will work! I used a blend of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, but you could use either of these alone as well. (Use just parmesan for classic garlic parmesan asparagus.) You can also try cheddar, Swiss, gruyere, provolone, or pecorino romano. You can even use cheese slices if that’s what you have on hand.
VARIATION: Want sauce for your casserole?
For a saucier presentation, you can make a batch of hollandaise sauce, or try asparagus casserole (which has the hollandaise baked right in)!
How To Make Parmesan Asparagus
This section shows how to make roasted asparagus with parmesan, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Trim the woody ends from the asparagus, preheat the oven, and line a baking dish with foil or parchment paper.
- Season. Toss asparagus with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking dish.
- Roast. Bake in the oven until the asparagus is bright green and just starting to soften.
- Add cheese. Mix together mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the asparagus.
- Bake. Return cheesy asparagus with parmesan to the oven, until the cheese has melted and the asparagus is tender.
Tips For The Best Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
Making roasted asparagus with parmesan is pretty straightforward, but here are a few tips for best results:
- Bend and snap. If you want to be sure you’re cutting off the right amount, you can gently bend each stalk until it snaps. This breaking point tends to be exactly where you’d want the woody end removed.
- Save on dishes. You can add oil and seasoning right in the baking dish. No need for a separate bowl!
- Adjust cook time based on thickness. The cook time in this recipe is based on medium asparagus stalks. It may be longer or shorter if yours are thicker or thinner.
- Brown the cheese if you like. If you like a crisp, golden cheese, place roasted parmesan asparagus under the broiler for a minute or two at the end.
- Brighten the flavor with lemon. I didn’t do this for the basic parmesan asparagus recipe, but you can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end, or stir it in at the same time as the olive oil.
- Store: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Warm cheesy parmesan asparagus in the microwave or in the oven at 350 degree F until hot.
- Meal Prep: If you’d like to prep things ahead, you can wash and trim asparagus in advance. Then, simply assemble and bake right before eating.
- Freeze: I would not recommend freezing asparagus roasted with parmesan, as the texture of this veggie can get limp and soggy after freezing. Serve it up fresh!
What To Serve With Cheesy Asparagus
Cheesy garlic roasted asparagus goes with just about any main dish! Here are some reader favorites:
- Chicken – Pair this parmesan asparagus bake with simple chicken legs, crispy pan fried chicken thighs, or the Italian flavors in Tuscan chicken.
- Steak – Steak and asparagus are a perfect match! Try sirloin steak in the oven, tender ribeye steak or a perfect filet mignon. If you also want a lighter replacement for the potatoes that often go with this combo, try mashed cauliflower.
- Pork – The combination of Italian flavors in rosemary garlic pork tenderloin or simple pan seared pork chops works perfectly with garlic parmesan asparagus.
- Seafood – Asparagus and fish often bake on the same pan since their cook times are similar. Try baked salmon, flaky baked tilapia, or buttery baked halibut. It also pairs well with seafood recipes, such as garlic butter shrimp.
- Noodles – Try this dish with your favorite pasta and sauce. For a healthy option, it would be perfect with baked spaghetti squash and a drizzle of alfredo sauce.
- Brunch – Create a nice brunch at home and pair with eggs benedict casserole, tender coddled eggs, or savory homemade lox.
More Easy Asparagus Recipes
If you need more ideas for what to do with asparagus, try these simple and savory ideas:
Cheesy Parmesan Asparagus (6 Ingredients!)
Make this roasted cheesy parmesan asparagus recipe with tender veggies, melty cheese, and garlic. Just 6 ingredients + 20 minutes!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking dish with foil (greased) or parchment paper.
Toss the asparagus with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Arrange in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for about 7-9 minutes, until the asparagus is bright green and just starting to soften.
Mix together the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the asparagus.
Return to the oven for another 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden.
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 6.1g
Net Carbs 3.4g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂