Paleo Low Carb Keto English Muffin Recipe (2 Min!)
FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This keto almond flour English muffin recipe is the oldest of all my keto bread recipes – and it’s so easy, I still make it regularly. Here’s an excerpt of what I wrote about these low carb gluten-free English muffins when I first made them:
You know a recipe is good when you plan out several meals to have during the week, and instead you just keep making one thing on repeat. That’s what happened here. I started by trying to make gluten-free English muffins low carb. I was happy that they turned out to be paleo English muffins, too. And they were so good, I just kept wanting them over and over! In fact, I made this low carb English muffin recipe for breakfast every day this week.
Yes, I’m totally obsessed with this new microwave toasted paleo english muffin. It certainly helps that it’s easy as can be! It’s the perfect go-to breakfast when you’re in a rush. (But if you’re looking for something sweet, you could try my 2-minute cinnamon swirl mug muffin instead.)
Aside from the simplicity, my favorite aspect of these low carb English muffins is the texture. Soft and buttery inside, crusty on the outside. These also have the lovely little air pockets you know and love. Some people might call them “nooks and crannies” based on a common brand of store bought ones. You wouldn’t expect that from gluten-free English muffins, but it works!
This keto English muffin recipe was originally published on December 28, 2015, and the post was republished in March 2021 to add updated pictures, useful tips, and some recipe improvements. Here is one of the original photos, if you’re curious:
While this quick keto english muffin recipe is no longer my top choice for bread, it’s definitely one of the quickest and most convenient, with the simplest ingredients. If you have a little more time on your hands, I recommend making fathead bagels, almond flour bread, or my personal favorite, keto yeast bread.
Keto English Muffin Ingredients
This whole low carb English muffin recipe only requires five simple ingredients (plus salt). You might even have these in your pantry and fridge right now:
- Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour – This is the one I recommend for best results; it has a super fine consistency, so your keto English muffin isn’t grainy. Different almond flours also have different oil levels, which can react differently in recipes.
- Wholesome Yum Coconut Flour – Use this super fine coconut flour if you can. Brands vary by moisture level, so using something else can still work, but might make the batter a little too wet or too dry.
- Butter – Use grass-fed butter for best flavor. Ghee or coconut oil work here as well, if you are paleo or sensitive to dairy, respectively.
- Egg – Use large eggs, not medium, extra large, or jumbo.
- Sea salt
- Baking powder – I recommend aluminum-free, like this one. Be sure it’s fresh, for maximum air pockets.
These are all pretty common for anyone that cooks gluten-free even occasionally. That means you can make a paleo English muffin on the spur of the moment. Yay!
How To Make Low Carb English Muffins
Did I mention that this low carb English muffin is ready in just a couple of minutes? It doesn’t get much faster than that! For mornings when you’re tired, don’t feel like cooking, or are short on time, gluten-free English muffins are the perfect solution.
Easy? Check. Fast? Check. Delicious? Check. Low carb, gluten-free and paleo? Check. Yes, this keto English muffin recipe is my jam. Let’s make them!
- Melt. Melt butter in a microwave safe ramekin.
- Cook. Microwave or bake almond flour English muffins, until the top is firm and spring-y to the touch. Run a knife along the edge of the ramekin and flip over a plate to release.
- Toast. Slice the English muffin in half, then pop in the toaster until golden.
Paleo English Muffin Recipe FAQs
Can you make them without a microwave?
Yes! If you’d rather not use the microwave, it’s easy to make this keto English muffin recipe in the oven instead.
Just use an oven safe ramekin and bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
The oven method does take a little longer, but you can make the paleo English muffin recipe ahead if you want to. You can even make a few at a time by using multiple ramekins.
Can you omit the almond flour or coconut flour?
Yes, here are your options:
- To omit the coconut flour: Replace the 1/2 tbsp coconut flour with an additional 1 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp almond flour, until the batter consistency is similar to the picture above. (Yes, you’d need 3-4 times the amount of almond flour to replace the coconut! You may also need bigger ramekins.)
- To omit the almond flour: Make this coconut flour microwave bread recipe instead. I don’t recommend omitting all the almond flour in the English muffins.
Do you have to toast them?
I wouldn’t recommend making this keto English muffin recipe without toasting, as it will be too fragile. On the other hand, after the toaster it comes out perfectly crispy.
If you don’t have a toaster, other options would be to lightly pan fry your paleo English muffin, or toast in a toaster oven.
Can you make a larger batch?
Absolutely! Just multiply the recipe by the number you want and use separate ramekins.
Keto English Muffin Nutrition FAQs
How many carbs in an English muffin?
Traditional English muffins have about 28 grams of carbs.
This keto diet English muffin recipe has just 4 grams net carbs per (large) serving. Full nutrition info is on the recipe card below.
Can you eat English muffins on keto?
No, traditional English muffins have too many carbs for the keto diet.
Which is why I thought we needed our own version! This low carb English muffin recipe makes English muffins on keto possible.
Are English muffins gluten-free?
No, most English muffins are made with white or wheat flour, making them not gluten-free. There are a few gluten-free English muffins, but most of those are made with rice or other flours.
This version is made with almond flour and coconut flour for a nutrient-dense option that’s keto and gluten-free.
How To Store Gluten Free English Muffins
Store these almond flour English muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze gluten-free English muffins?
Yes, you can freeze English muffins for 2-3 months.
For best results, toast the gf English muffins in a toaster or in the oven until heated through and slightly crispy.
What To Serve With A Keto English Muffin
These gluten-free English muffins definitely have a breakfast feel to them, so let’s embrace that. Voila – you’ve got the perfect breakfast or snack!
And if a less breakfast-y sandwich is what you’re after, you’ll probably prefer my keto 90 second bread recipe. It has a more chewy texture and is just as easy!
Recommended Containers For This Low Carb English Muffin Recipe
Here are your container options for making this low carb English muffin recipe:
- Ramekins – Most often, I make these gluten-free English muffins in large ramekins. The best ones are 4 inches in diameter like these. But if you only have smaller ramekins that are 3.5 inches in diameter, you can still make low carb English muffins in them! For ramekins any smaller than that, divide the batter into two instead.
- Mug – If you prefer more slices, you can also make the paleo English muffin in a large mug instead of a ramekin. Once it’s ready, slice it, and just pop those into the toaster in batches. This option is good for trying it with multiple spreads or toppings. Because sometimes you just can’t decide, right?
- Rectangular glass containers – As suggested by a reader, use these to turn this low carb English muffin recipe into bread slices. (Makes one large rectangle, which you can cut in half to make 2 slices.)
- Soup bowls with a flat bottom – These are the ones I like to use for larger muffins, as shown in the video below. They are both microwave + oven safe.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Rate this recipe:
Low Carb Keto English Muffin Recipe (2 Minutes!)
The BEST keto low carb English muffin recipe – soft & buttery inside, crusty on the outside. Just 5 ingredients + 2 minutes to make these paleo gluten-free English muffins!
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Click or tap on the image below to play the video. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Best Flour For This Recipe
Meet Wholesome Yum Blanched Almond Flour and Coconut Flour, with the highest quality + super fine texture, for the best tasting baked goods.
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Melt ghee (or butter) in a microwave or oven safe ramekin or other container, about 4 in (10 cm) diameter with a flat bottom. This takes about 30 seconds. (If using the oven only, you can melt it in the oven while it preheats. Remove once melted.)
Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Let sit for a minute to allow the mixture to thicken.
Microwave method: Microwave for about 90 seconds, until firm.
Oven method: Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C), until the top is firm and spring-y to the touch.
Run a knife along the edge and flip over a plate to release. Slice in half, then toast in the toaster.
Serving size: 2 large slices (entire recipe)
- Nutrition facts below are for a LARGE low carb English muffin (4″ diameter), using these ramekins.
- For more container options, see the list in the blog post.
- If you prefer more/smaller slices, you can also make it in a mug instead of a ramekin, then just pop those in the toaster in batches.
Video Showing How To Make Low Carb English Muffins:
Don’t miss the VIDEO above – it’s the easiest way to learn how to make Low Carb English Muffins!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 8g
Net Carbs 4g
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂