The BEST Keto 90 Second Bread (1 Net Carb!)
FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Let’s face it – one of the biggest things people miss on a low carb lifestyle is bread. That’s why my low carb bread recipes recipe index is constantly one of the most popular areas on Wholesome Yum, and why I’m always so excited to create new ones. This keto 90 second bread with almond flour is the latest. (Some people call it keto mug bread!)
The fundamentals of the keto diet are healthy fats, keto vegetables, and natural meats. But, sometimes I just want a sandwich! Just not a wheat or carb-filled one. And when I’m in a hurry, nothing beats enjoying a sandwich on 90 second bread.
This 90 second keto bread recipe was originally published on June 30, 2018, and the post was republished in April 2021 to add useful tips and answer common questions.
What Is 90 Second Bread?
Keto 90 second bread is a low carb, grain-free bread that you can make basically in 90 seconds. It’s perfect if you want a super quick keto bread, or just a general low carb bread.
I’m not sure who came up with microwave bread first, but I’m pretty sure it started out using wheat flour and wasn’t low carb. These days, the name “90 second bread” seems to indicate a low carb microwave bread, and there are various versions of it.
In fact, my low carb English muffin is essentially a 90 second bread recipe. Many of you reported making it for sandwiches and general-purpose bread uses, when you don’t have time to make cloud bread, almond flour bread, or my keto bread mix.
I still make the English muffin a lot, but wanted to improve it. And, many people ask about a 90 second bread with almond flour only, whereas the other version also includes coconut flour. So, I made some adjustments, and came up with an improved, chewier 90 second bread recipe…
Ingredients For The Best 90 Second Bread Recipe
So, what’s the secret to the best 90 second bread with almond flour? How to achieve a better texture? Psyllium husk powder! I used it in my popular easy low carb bread recipe, and was excited to create what is essentially similar to a keto microwave bread version of that.
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this chewy bread:
- Butter – You can also use coconut oil or ghee for a dairy-free or paleo version, respectively.
- Almond flour – Be sure to use super fine blanched almond flour like this for the best texture.
- Psyllium husk powder – The psyllium husk powder is the key to making this keto 90 second bread chewy and giving it a texture that’s like real wheat bread. And as a bonus, it adds plenty of fiber! I recommend this brand, which won’t turn your bread purple like some others do.
- Baking powder – To help the bread rise!
- Sea salt – Or any other kind of salt will work fine.
- Egg – Use large eggs, not medium or jumbo, for the right batter ratio.
How To Make 90 Second Bread – Oven or Microwave
The process for how to make 90 second bread is super simple. The original recipe was for the microwave, but you can also make it in the oven. If you are making the 90 second bread in the oven, preheat it before starting on the other steps.
- Melt butter. To start, melt the butter (or ghee or coconut oil) in a glass rectangular container, like this one. It’s oven-safe, so you can use it for both the microwave and oven methods. I melt the butter right in the microwave, but for the oven method, you can melt it on the stove first and then pour it into the container. It usually takes about 30 seconds in my microwave.
- Stir dry ingredients. Meanwhile, stir together the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix. Once the butter is melted, add the flour mixture to it, then whisk in the egg. Stir it all together and smooth the top so that the batter is distributed evenly.
- Cook the 90 second keto bread. Zap it in the microwave for 90 seconds, or bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s firm and spring-y on top. It will also retract away from the edges a bit.
TIP: Just in case any edges are stuck, run a knife between the bread and the container on the sides. Then, flip over onto a plate or paper towel.
You’ll end up with a thick, rectangular piece of bread. Cut it in half to make 2 square pieces. Perfect for a sandwich!
If you want them thinner, you can also slice them in half. The exact size and thickness will vary depending on the container you use.
- Toast. This is optional, but I recommend popping the bread slices into a toaster. I’m sure you’re impatient to try it, but trust me, it’s so much better that way! And to me, it removes any lingering egg-y taste or smell.
Keto Mug Bread FAQs
What does 90 second bread taste like?
Many 90 second bread recipes taste a little eggy and can be crumbly, with their base ingredients being almond flour and eggs. The addition of psyllium and generous amount of baking powder in this version is a game changer – it creates a chewy texture and air pockets. It tastes very close to regular wheat bread!
Can you make 90 second bread with coconut flour?
Yes, you can, but you can’t just take the 90 second bread recipe with almond flour and substitute coconut flour 1-to-1.
If you want to use coconut flour, your best bet is to follow my coconut flour microwave bread recipe.
However, if you want to try to use the recipe below with coconut flour, you can replace the 3 tbsp almond flour with 3/4 to 1 tbsp coconut flour. You’ll need a smaller container, because there will be less batter.
Do you have to use the psyllium husk powder?
Yes, the psyllium husk powder is crucial for the best texture in your keto mug bread. However, if you like, you can also substitute flax seed meal for a similar effect.
Can you make it in a mug?
Yes! I like to use these glass containers to create rectangular slices, but you can also just make the bread in a mug and then slice it.
Can you bake 90 second bread?
Yes! You can bake the keto mug bread for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F instead of cooking in the microwave. Be sure to use an oven-safe container or mug.
Can you make 90 second bread ahead of time?
If you want to make the 90 second bread recipe in advance, you can! I don’t recommend mixing the batter and letting it sit, though. Instead, cook it and store for later.
You can keep it on the counter for about a day, in the fridge for about a week, or freeze for several months.
Can you freeze 90 second bread?
Yes, you can freeze keto mug bread for 3-6 months.
I like to use multiple containers to make it in bulk, and freeze. That way, you’ll always have pre-sliced, 90 second keto microwave bread on hand. Just toast and eat!
How To Use Keto 90 Keto Second Bread
You can use 90 second bread in all the same ways that you’d normally enjoy bread! Here are some ideas:
- Sandwiches – This is my favorite way to use keto 90 second bread. It’s so quick! My go-to lunch is a turkey sandwich with lettuce and homemade avocado mayo. But you can also make other sandwiches like a BLT, reuben, or peanut butter and jelly.
- Spread – This bread is delicious smeared with some grass-fed butter, nut butter, or even chia jam or sugar-free jelly. I usually pair that with some kind of veggies as part of my meal to make sure I’m getting other nutrients.
- Avocado toast – If you like to freeze avocados like I do, spreading the mashed avocado on the bread is delicious and a great way to use them. Of course, you can do the same with fresh avocado.
- Breakfast – Try a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese, and either sausage or bacon.
- Rectangular Containers – This is the size I used. It creates a rectangular piece of bread that you can cut into 2 slices, plus it’s oven safe if you prefer that route. But feel free to use a mug instead if you prefer.
- Super Fine Blanched Almond Flour – Creates the best, finest texture for your 90 second keto bread.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
This reader favorite recipe is included in The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook! Order your copy to get 100 easy keto recipes in a beautiful print hardcover book, including 80 exclusive recipes not found anywhere else (not even this blog!), my complete fathead dough guide, the primer for starting keto, and much more.
ORDER THE EASY KETO COOKBOOK HERE
Rate this recipe:
The BEST Keto 90 Second Bread Recipe
An EASY keto 90 second bread recipe – just 5 ingredients + 1g net carb! This 90 second keto bread with almond flour is AIRY and CHEWY, with texture like real bread.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 1 minute
Total Time 3 minutes
Click or tap on the image below to play the video. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Try My New Keto Bread Mix!
Want even easier, delicious keto white bread that’s fluffy and chewy? Get this convenient mix from Wholesome Yum.
GET KETO BREAD MIX
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Melt the butter, ghee, or coconut oil in a small glass rectangular container.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and sea salt.
Add the flour mixture to the melted butter, then whisk in the egg and stir everything together until smooth. Level the top with the back of a spoon.
Microwave Method: Microwave for about 90 seconds, until firm.
Oven Method: Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (177 degrees C), until firm.
Run a knife along the edges, then flip onto a plate or paper towel to release.
Cut in half to form two thick slices. You can slice each piece in half for thinner slices if desired.
Toast in a toaster for best results (highly recommended). This improves texture and reduces any egg-y flavor.
Serving size: 1 thick slice (1/2 recipe)
Video Showing How To Make 90 Second Bread:
Don’t miss the VIDEO above – it’s the easiest way to learn how to make 90 Second Bread!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 3g
Net Carbs 1g
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂