The Best Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Get It Now
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This keto chicken salad recipe is one of those dishes you’ll want to keep on hand for comforting, healthy, convenient meals! Like other high-protein salads (such as egg salad or avocado tuna salad), you can learn how to make low carb chicken salad for a quick low carb lunch, snack, or light dinner using easy ingredients and just minutes of prep.
Is Chicken Salad Keto?
Most of the time, chicken salad is a naturally low carb meal option and is suitable for a keto diet, but that does depend what you put in it. There are chicken salad recipes with grapes, apples, or dried cranberries that need to be left out for a keto chicken salad. Always check ingredient lists to know for sure if yours is keto friendly.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Chicken Salad Recipe
- Creamy texture
- Herby chicken flavor
- Basic ingredients, easy to customize
- 10 minutes from start to finish
- 0g net carbs per serving
- Naturally keto friendly, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and paleo
- Great for meal prep
- Pairs with so many different foods, and tasty all on its own
Low Carb Chicken Salad Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto friendly chicken salad, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise – Use a store bought mayo or homemade avocado oil mayo.
- Mustard – This keto chicken salad recipe has yellow mustard, but use Dijon mustard if you prefer.
- Aromatics – Including green onions and garlic.
- Fresh Herbs – Fresh dill, and fresh parsley. You can also use other fresh herbs, such as rosemary.
- Shredded Chicken – I make Instant Pot shredded chicken breast most often, but feel free to use dark meat chicken thighs. You can also save time by using a rotisserie chicken from the store or shred any leftover chicken you have. (If you still have extra, make chicken bacon ranch casserole!)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Keto Chicken Salad
This section shows how to make low carb chicken salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Make dressing. In a large mixing bowl, stir together mayo, mustard, herbs, and garlic, until smooth.
- Mix. Stir chicken and green onions into the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill. Refrigerate keto chicken salad for at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to develop.
While I think this is the best keto chicken salad recipe, there are other ways to prep it! Try these flavors:
- Avocado Chicken Salad – Swap mayo for mashed avocados and a few tablespoons of lime juice. Use red onion, fresh cilantro, and minced jalapenos for aromatics instead of herbs and garlic.
- Mediterranean Chicken Salad – Add lemon juice and Italian seasoning to dressing, swap fresh herbs with fresh basil, and add salad mix-ins like feta cheese, black olives, bell pepper, and red onion.
- Buffalo – Follow this buffalo chicken salad recipe.
- Curry – Trade herbs for curry powder, to taste, plus add finely chopped celery and cashews or almonds. Omit mustard.
- Cajun – Substitute aromatics with diced celery, white and red onion, green bell peppers, and minced garlic. Add homemade Cajun seasoning and a few tablespoons of white vinegar to the dressing instead of mustard.
- Bacon – A great addition to keto chicken salad! Cook bacon using your favorite method (stovetop, oven bacon, air fryer bacon, or microwave bacon), chop it up, and stir into the salad.
- Crunch – If you like to add a bit of crunchy texture, try diced celery, onions, bell peppers, or keto nuts (such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans).
How Many Carbs In Chicken Salad?
The average chicken salad without added fruit contains 1-3g total carbs and as few as 0g net carbs. However, they can still contain added sugar or even corn syrup in their dressings — and those with added fruits will contain even more carbs. Luckily, it’s easy to make this low carb chicken salad recipe at home that doesn’t skimp on flavor!
- Store: Cover and keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
- Freeze: I wouldn’t recommend freezing mayo-based keto chicken salad recipes, as the texture will become unappetizing.
How To Serve Low Carb Chicken Salad
It may sound a little boring to eat an easy chicken salad recipe all week long, but it isn’t if you find multiple uses for it — and these are all keto friendly:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
The Best Low Carb Keto Chicken Salad
An easy keto chicken salad recipe packed with herbs and flavor! Learn how to make healthy low carb chicken salad in just 10 minutes.
Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 10 minutes
Servings: 6 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, fresh dill, fresh parsley, and garlic, until smooth.
Stir in the chicken and green onions. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
If you have time, refrigerate for at least two hours before serving to let the flavors develop.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 1g
Net Carbs 0g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂